In September last year, Lynne was diagnosed with Pseudomyxoma Peritonei. She and her friend, Sharon share their story:
We have been best friends for more years than we care to remember, we have laughed, cried and supported each other through the good, the bad and often the ugly. This year we plan to celebrate our 40th birthdays in style by raising money for Pseudomyxoma Survivor, a charity that this time last year we hadn’t even heard of but now it’s become very important to us and we want to support the good work it does.
Following Lynne's diagnosis and thanks to the fast and thorough work done by a team of experts in Basingstoke, 2 tumours were successfully removed. Why Basingstoke you might ask, well as the cancer is so rare that patients have to travel for specialist care. There are just two in the UK, Basingstoke and North Hants hospital and the Christie in Manchester.
Following her treatment, Lynne will remain under the care of the Basingstoke team and this is why we want to raise funds for Pseudomyxoma Survivor to help support the grants made towards Pseudomyxoma Peritonei research.
So just how will we do this? Well we’ve created a bucket list of 40 things that we will do this year, some are for fun, some more serious and some are just downright scary! The most important part is that we will be raising money for a charity close to our hearts in the normal way we do things – by laughing as much as possible!!!!!!
Here is our list
- Go zorbing
- Go to court on a Monday (long story but apparently great entertainment!)
- Climb Ben Nevis
- Get on the Glasgow tour bus and have a night out in Ashton Lane
- Have a relaxing spa day
- Take up a night class
- Audition for X factor
- Have a divorce party (for Lynne)
- Take the kids skiing
- Have a party for our birthdays
- Do a sponsored abseil / zipslide
- Run a 10K
- Go to an opera
- Do my Chartered FCIPD qualification (Sharon)
- Go pole dancing
- Sing at a karaoke like in the old days
- Go to a murder mystery night
- Organise a Come Dine With Me night
- Do the Great Glasgow Family Run
- Take skating lessons - DONE!!!!!
- Test drive a fancy car
- Camp in an actual tent
- Visit a personal shopper
- Get professional make over
- Photograph the sunrise and sunset on our 40th birthday
- Get a good professional (sober) picture of us
- Give internet dating a try (Lynne only – Sharon's husband might object to Sharon doing it!)
- Get a dramatic haircut
- Go for a midnight walk on the beach
- Become an extra in an advert
- Do 40 push ups in one sitting
- Do some volunteering
- Go on a scary roller coaster
- Swim with dolphins (Lynne)
- Scuba Diving (Lynne)
- Record I Dont Want a Lover by Texas (copies will be on sale soon!)
- Give up wine for 1 month
- Sharon to lose 5 kilos (nearly a stone)
Can you help us with ideas for numbers 39 and 40?
To support Lynne and Sharon's 40 for 40, please visit their JustGiving page. There are more stories like Lynne's on our Survivors page.